Thursday, September 26, 2013

eight


Just over eight years ago I heard a song,
one I had heard a million times before.
But this time the song meant something more.
It meant something to me. 

I cried while I listened to the words of this song over and over again.
I took this CD into my moms room and played the song for her.
We cried together.
And then we listened to it again. 

I spent many times before that sitting in my moms bed with her.
Some days we'd cry but most the time we would talk
and laugh and make memories that I will cherish forever.

What I wouldn't give to walk into that house
and see my mom standing in the kitchen 
making bread or pumpkin cookies. 
What I wouldn't give to have her here
right now.
being a part of my life.

7,603 days I spent with her.
2,922 I have spent without her.

The worst part is that everyday I feel like I am forgetting her.
I hate not being able to hear her voice
or smell her smell
or feel her touch in a hug.

Everyday is another day without her.
Another day separating the last day I was with her.
And it hurts my heart that the days seem to go faster and faster
making one more day at a time
without her.

I wish she was here.
Everyday I wish that.
But through it all,
I know she is with me.
I know she has a hand in my life
and knows exactly what is going on.
And I am so happy to know that.

I am so happy to know that I will be with her again.
Knowing that is what gets me through all the days without her.
And makes me want to live to be like her
so I can spend forever with her.


When my mom died we all wanted someone to sing this song at the funeral.
We thought about a few people who could do it.
Then we thought,
let's just see if Nancy Hanson, the original artist, would come sing it.
We emailed her
and she said she would love to come. 

It was beautiful
and perfect
and made the song even that much more special.

I'll meet you there, mom

Kissed your cheek and said goodbye,
I'd be back in a day or two.
Never thought you'd leave for good,
never thought you'd leave so soon.

Now there sits an empty room
where once a heart beat strong.
If only I could say to you,
the words I kept too long.

There's a place waiting for you
where you'll dance and laugh again,
where the autumn sings her lullaby
the evening fog tucks you in.

Where hearts and minds are peaceful now,
free of all despair,
where love surrounds your every thought,
someday,
I'll meet you there

Deserted by your precious gifts,
you walk that road alone.
No compass or companion,
so weary from the storm.
Somehow you bore the burden
and never passed the cup
until the angels called your name
and you were lifted up.

To the place waiting for you
where you'll dance and laugh again,
where the autumn sings her lullaby
the evening fog tucks you in.

Where hearts and minds are peaceful now,
free of all despair
where love surrounds your every thought,
someday,
I'll meet you there.

In the quiet of the moment in a look through heavens door
I see a face that's smiling and I see your spirit soar

To the place waiting for you
where you'll dance and laugh again,
where the autumn sings her lullaby
the evening fog tucks you in.

Where hearts and minds are peaceful now,
free of all despair
love surrounds your every thought,
someday,
I'll meet you there.

I'll meet you there. 

-Nancy Hanson

No comments: