Friday, October 11, 2013

recipe of the day


A few people have asked for the recipe for the kringler from my last post.
Well here it is!
Ryan had talked about this for as long as I've known him.
His mom used to make it for them.
I finally decided to get a recipe and try it.

I had never made pastries before so I wondered how I'd do
but it's really easy and not too time consuming.
Now it's our conference tradition.
With all that butter it can't be eaten too often!


Conference Kringler

Crust:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, chilled
2 tablespoons ice water

Puff topping

1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Frosting

1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 -3 tablespoons milk
sliced almonds, if desired

Directions:

1 Measure 1 cup flour into mixing bowl.
2 Using a pastry blender, cut 1/2 cup butter into flour until particles are size of small peas.
3 Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork until flour mixture is moistened and soft dough forms.
4 Divide dough in half.
5 On ungreased cookie sheet, press each half into a 12x3 inch strip.
6 In medium saucepan, heat water and 1/2 cup butter to boiling.
7 Remove from heat; immediately stir in 1 cup flour until smooth.
8 Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
9 Stir in 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
10 Spoon over crust, spreading to 3/4 inch from edges.
11 Bake 50-60 minutes until golden brown and puffy- Cool.
12 Blend powdered sugar, butter, almond extract and milk until smooth.
13 Frost, sprinkle with nuts.
14 Cut into 10-12 slices to serve.

{note: the first time I made this I thought it looked like it was way too small so I doubled it. Trust me, this recipe makes more than enough}

No comments: