Tuesday, August 5, 2014

the nordstrom anniversary sale


When I was younger I looked forward to this day every July.

My mom would take the day off of work.
We would wake up early
and we would get to the Crossroads Mall right when it opened.

We would shop the Nordstrom Anniversary sale to our hearts content.
Literally.
Sometimes to the point where the bank would call my dad
thinking the credit card was stolen.

Not our best moment.

This time of year always takes me back to those days.
Back to the days when I didn't have a care in the world.
Back to the days that my mom took us school clothes shopping.
Back to the days when my parents bought our clothes.

Well guess what?
The Nordstrom sale ended yesterday.

I never went.
I never even looked online.
I didn't buy one thing.

And guess what else?
I survived.
In fact, I didn't even miss it.
I sort of forgot it was even happening.
{except for the bloggers that kept posting their million dollar outfits they purchased}

I don't know if I've just grown up
and realized that $150 for a pair of shoes is crazy.
Or if I feel that way because I don't have $150 for a pair of shoes!
Or if I've realized I could go my whole life without ever buying another piece of clothing or pair of shoes
and have enough to last me till I die.

I think what it is is that I am happy and content with what I have.
We are not rich in any way
in fact, we are quite the opposite!
But we are so blessed.

Life gets hard some days
but there is so much goodness and love
that no amount of money or clothes could make up for.

So for now I will enjoy what I have.
And remember that even through hard times,
there is so much good in this life.

No comments: